Super creamy and cheesy green bean casserole from scratch. Green beans coated in a mushroom creamy sauce topped with french fried onions and Italian melted Parmesan cheese.Everybody knows that green bean casserole is the traditional Thanksgiving dish. But have you ever thought that this dreamy, creamy, savory and easy side dish is perfect for your everyday dinner table? It’s a healthy and absolutely delicious version of the dish which you can prepare in advance . Sounds interesting, isn’t it?
Green bean casserole is the kind of dish you can use to sneak in more greens or veggies into your own or your child’s diet, causing no suspicion. This version has a delicious flavor, is nutritious and no heavy food coma afterward! It’s a kind of thing that not only tastes good but makes you feel good as well.
The dish is very simple, just 13 ingredients needed, and about 30 minutes. Preparation time needed for a non-vegan version is a little bit longer, but it’s absolutely worth it to treat yourself and your guests with something special. The real magic about it is crispy fried onions that add its salty and soft taste.
When cooking green beans, remember that you can make them as tender as you like. If you prefer softer beans – just cook longer.
The good thing about green bean casserole is that you can make it in advance and then store the prepared dish in a fridge and heat it right before you’re going to serve it. Making it in advance will save you a lot of time, if you need to prepare for a big dinner, and won’t affect the taste of the final dish at all.
As usual, you can adjust the recipe to your own needs, but after you try this recipe, you won’t feel like changing anything, it’s just perfect. Enjoy!
EASY GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
- Green Beans (trimmed & washed) – 500 gm
- Beef/ Bacon slices (chopped) - 4
- Vegetable oil- 1 tbsp
- Garlic cloves (minced)-3
- Onion (finely chopped) - 1 medium
- Mushrooms (Portobello, button, cremini) - 500 gm, sliced
- Unsalted butter/ Ghee- 2 tbsp.
- Flour- 2 tbsp.
- Chicken stock- ¾ cup
- Half and Half cream- 1 cup
- Freshly Grated Parmigiana- ¼ cup
- Dried thyme- ½ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- FOR SERVING
- French Fried Onion-as needed
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously.
- Add the green beans to the boiling water and cook them for 4 minutes. Drain them & place in an ice water bath or rinse them under cold water to stop cooking. Drain again and put aside for a while.
- In a large pan heat 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil. Fry the beef slices until crispy. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onto a plate.
- Melt 2 tbsp. of the butter in the same pan. Add the chopped onion and cook until lightly browned. Add the sliced mushrooms and the garlic & cook 7-8 minutes over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Gradually sprinkle in flour and stir to coat the veggies. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken stock, add the thyme and stir again. Cook the mixture for 4 minutes.
- Add the half & half cream, the green beans and stir to incorporate. Adjust salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 4 minutes or until lightly thick.
- Stir in the Freshly Grated Parmigiana, top with French fried onion and sprinkle with the crispy bacon.
Try this delicious Green bean casserole and share your experience!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE