These delicate egg muffins are low-fat, flavorful & also loaded with lots of veggies like spinach, scallions, red onion for additional nutritious value.
Eggs are the most versatile ingredient in your kitchen. Fry them, boil them or bake…..
No breakfast buffet is complete without a small tower of egg muffins. This humble food is as tasty as it is convenient. Egg muffins make for a great finger food and they are known for their versatility – wrap them in bacon, mix in chopped spinach or sprinkle some grated cheese into the mixture. A finely sliced green chilli offers a great kick start to the day! Add in as many or as few ingredients as you’re in the mood for – egg muffins are sure to be a hit. And to make egg muffins even more appealing, they’re really easy to make!
First, beat the eggs together, and next, add your choice of finely chopped, crumbled or grated ingredients and combine. Fill each muffin cup and cook until the muffins have risen.
A selection of vegetables, spices and condiments will make your muffins stand out from the crowd. The versatility of eggs is a wonderful thing – you can make them as spicy or as mild as your heart desires.
Here are a few variations that I love:
–Chopped spinach and cheddar egg muffins
Spinach and cheddar are a match made in heaven and together with the baked eggy mixture, they’re a wonderfully filling breakfast treat. Slice the spinach really thinly and add it in fresh or sauté it first. Add cheddar cheese into the mixture as well as on top.
–Creamy chorizo egg muffins
Tiny chunks of smoked chorizo and loosely combined egg and heavy cream make for delightfully indulgent egg muffins, best served warm. Sprinkle some finely chopped cilantro on top for extra freshness.
It’s important that they retain their shape, but if you prefer your eggs on the softer side, cook them for shorter! These delightful treats are not limited to breakfast, but make for a carb-free lunch, served with leafy salad and a creative mix of fresh veggies. You can serve them hot or cold, which means they make a great packed lunch for school or for work. These muffins with a few ingredients can stand alone as an on-the-go breakfast too. Get as creative as you like, no two egg muffins must be the same.
So if you like eggs and you can have them at any moment, you have come to the right place! Try these really delicious muffins!
HOW TO MAKE EGG MUFFINS
- Large eggs- 8
- Spinach ( cooked)* - 1 cup
- Green bell pepper ( finely chopped)- ¼ cup
- Thinly sliced scallions- ¾ cup
- Green chili ( finely chopped )-1
- Red onion ( chopped) - 1 medium
- Fresh dill - ½ tbsp
- Fresh parsley ( finely chopped)- ½ tbsp
- Cheddar cheese- ¼ cup
- Crushed black pepper-1/2 tsp
- Whole mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Water- 2 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 F/180 C with the rack in the center .
- Chop and slice all the vegetables into small chunks.
- Oil 9-10 muffin cups ( depends on the size of your cups).
- In a large bowl beat eggs together. Add spices ( black pepper, cumin seeds & mustard seeds) & 2 tbsp of water. Combine well.
- Mix in bell pepper, green chili, dill, parsley, red onion, cheddar cheese, spinach & scallions.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked and a bit fluffy.
- Serve hot or cold.
- You can store these egg muffins up to 3 days in the fridge.
Remove from the heat allow to cool. Squeeze as much liquid as possible.