This German Apple Cake is the simplest and most delicious apple cake. Freshly sliced apples and grapes are coated in a delicate, moist, heartwarming dough.
Cakes, regardless of the widely variety of types available, are preferred by many for their delicious taste and compatibility to events. They are an all-purpose food that can be a snack or dessert. Moreover, they have become part of tradition to commemorate a moment of joy at weddings, birthday parties, and other ceremonies.
Although it looks very sophisticated, did you know that making a cake is very simplistic and possible right from your kitchen? Don’t be scared away by how the flour looks perfectly mixed, the frosting on top designed, and its appetizing shape. Taking each of them at a time simplifies everything. Suffice to say, we’ll prepare a German apple cake and you’ll see how easy it is to make a cake.
To start off, there are mandatory ingredients that you need to have before starting baking. Wondering how sophisticated the ingredients are? Well, worry not because they are just ordinary materials that you use all the time. For this particular cake, you’ll need baking soda, all-purpose flour, salt, eggs, tart apples and vegetable oil/butter for the cake part.
HOW TO MAKE GERMAN APPLE CAKE
- All-purpose flour- 1¾ cup
- Apples ( peeled & thinly sliced)-1 kg/ 2¼ lb
- Grapes/ blackberries- 1 cup ( I used grapes)
- Unsalted butter-5 tbsp-70 gm
- Stale Breadcrumbs-3 tbsp
- Large eggs- 3
- Caster sugar-3/4 cup, plus extra for dusting
- Milk- ⅔ cup or 150 ml
- Baking powder-1¼ tsp
- Rind of ½ lemon
- Preheat your oven to 180 C/ 350 F.
- Grease a 10 inch ( 25 cm) cake tin with butter. Dust the tin with breadcrumbs.
- Take a large bowl. Beat the eggs until foamy. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Fold in flour, milk,lemon rind and baking powder.
- Turn the baking tin upside down to remove extra breadcrumbs. Discard them.
- Add half the sliced apples and half the grapes to the cake mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and arrange the remaining sliced apples and grapes on the top.
- Dot with the remaining butter the top of the cake ( sliced apples and grapes).
- Bake 50-55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely,then take the cake out of the tin.
- Dust with Caster sugar.
a 25 cm ( 10 inch) cake tin