Chicken Tortilla soup is one of the most yummiest soups.It is very hearty, thick and full of flavor. Perfect choice for weeknight dinner.
Like all good soups and all good Mexican food, the key to this chicken tortilla soup is not to overindulge in any particular ingredient. You want your spices to complement and amplify the flavors of your other ingredients, not to dominate them or beat them into submission. Of course, chicken tortilla soup needs good, crispy tortillas and tender chicken to really impress your guests or family. It’s best to know what you’re dealing with when it comes to those two staples.
Tortillas, probably most famous as a stalwart of Mexican cuisine, far predate the arrival of the Spanish or any other European power in the Americas. Long before Cortes and his conquistadors set foot in Mexico – around 10,000 BC, according to some sources – the ancient Mayans made tortillas from native maize. It is the direct ancestor of modern-day corn. The Aztecs would grind maize into a meal. It was then turned into the sort of dough that could be rolled out and flattened into a tortilla. The Spanish named the flatbread for their word for “little cake”, and the name has stuck ever since.
Wheat flour tortillas were popularized by Spanish-speaking Jewish people. They believed corn meal not to be kosher. Some scholars theorized that they based their tortilla recipe on the sort of unleavened bread popular throughout many Semitic communities. Modern tortillas (commercially made) are made from wheat flour. Today wheat flour tortillas comprise the vast majority of those consumed in the United States. Tortillas are even eaten by astronauts in space, as they don’t produce crumbs. It would be a massive safety risk in a zero-gravity environment.
If this is your first time cooking Mexican food, stick to easy, flavorsome spices like
- chili powder
Some people like to buy pre-mixed Mexican spice combinations from supermarkets and grocers. Guys, there’s far more fun to prepare your own seasoning. Chipotle powder is delicious and extremely popular, but ultimately the combination of spices you choose to use is up to you. Personalize your spice mix. It will really allow you to make this chicken tortilla soup your own.
Try to use green, red and yellow bell peppers to really bring your chicken tortilla soup to life. People call them capsicum in some parts of the world.
Each variety of this savory favorite has its own subtly distinctive flavor from the rest. And if you have small children you can make a great game of “stop, slow or go” from your color combination.
Serve your soup topped with
- generous dollops of avocado
- sour cream
- fresh red onion
- just about anything you can think of
Crunchy, cold and crisp toppings are best as they add an entirely new texture to your chicken tortilla soup, as does the creamy character of sour cream and avocado.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- Tender chicken breast- 1 kg
- Red kidney beans/black beans -1 can
- Red bell pepper( seeded & diced)- 2
- Chopped tomatoes- 1 can
- Garlic cloves( minced)-2-3
- Chicken stock- 8 cups
- Ground Cumin- 1 tbsp
- Dried Oregano- 1tsp
- Chili powder-1 tsp
- Juice of 2 limes
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- Pasado Chili(chopped) -1
- Corn flour- 4 tbsp + ¼ cup of water
- Salt -to taste
- For Garnish
- Sour cream- as needed
- Strips of Lime- as needed
- Fresh cilantro- ½ cup
- Fried tortilla strips- 1 cup
- Red onion-1 (optional)
- In a large saucepan heat olive/vegetable oil. Add chicken breast and fry until browned. Add the chopped garlic, red bell peppers, chopped tomatoes & Pasado chili. Cook another 5 minutes.
- While you cook the chicken, toss cumin powder in a small, hot pan until it starts to smell toasty and fragrant. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Combine the roasted cumin powder with chili powder.
- Add the spices to the chicken. Pour the chicken stock into the saucepan with chicken and veggies.
- Add the red/black kidney beans, lime juice and salt.Cover and cook 45-50 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the saucepan , allow it to cool slightly. Then shred it and return to the saucepan.
- In a small cup combine corn flour with ¼ cup of water.
- Gradually pour over the soup and keep stirring until it begins to thicken.
- Season with dried oregano. Adjust salt and spices to your taste.
Fried tortilla strips
Strips of lime
Such a delicious Chicken tortilla soup. Enjoy it!