Cheese Fritters are one of the typical desserts in the island of Sardinia.Filled with sheep’s milk cheese and drizzled with orange honey.
Delicious, sweet and sticky Sardinian ravioli fritters are a classic dessert from the gorgeous island Sardinia.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESE FRITTERS
- All-purpose flour- 4 cups ( plus extra for dusting)
- Regular Shortening- 3 tbsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Vegetable Sunflower Oil - 1½ cup ( for deep-frying)
- Honey- 5-6 tbsp / 70-80 ml
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- Water as needed
- FOR THE FILLING
- Cream Cheese-5 cups / 500 gm
- Semolina- 2 tbsp
- Boiling water- ½ cup
- Grated Rind of 1 lemon
- Take a large bowl, put all the flour into it. Add the shortening and salt. Knead together, adding enough water. You should get a smooth, elastic dough.
- Cover the dough with plastic and allow to rest in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meanwhile let's prepare the filling. In a medium saucepan combine cream cheese, salt and boiling water. Whisk until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Add semolina and whisk until you get a tick paste. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Shape the mixture into flat pancakes 7 cm in diameter and about 1 cm thick. ( I advice to dip your hands in cold water first ).
- Use the clean cloth to dab any excess moisture off them.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, divide it in half. On a slightly dusted surface ,roll out each piece very thinly to make two even sheets.
- Put the cheese pancakes on one sheet of dough , evenly spaced.
- Cover with the other sheet of dough on top and gently roll the rolling pin around the edges to seal.
- Use the pastry wheel cutter to cut around each cheese fritter.
- In a medium pan heat oil. Fry the cheese fitters in batches until golden.
- Remove them using a slotted spoon, and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve hot , drizzled with honey and sprinkled with lemon rind.