Key Lime Pie Recipe is quick and easy, and super key-lime-a-licious.
It is the Sweetest Way to Drive Away Winter Blahs.
Key lime pie is one of the unique desserts that has the power to transport you far away from your cold, wintery surroundings to a warm spot in Florida, the birthplace of this exquisite pie. The sweet taste combined with hint of zesty lemon is bound to make you (and your loved ones) ask for seconds and dare to even think of thirds.
Origins of the Key Lime Pie Recipe
According to most records, the key lime pie originated in Key West, Florida around the 20th century. While many attribute the recipe to botanist Jack Simons, Key West’s first millionaire William Curry was the first to formally mention it after his cook ‘Aunty Sally’ prepared and served it to him. However, even she may have added her own touch to a recipe local sponge fishermen came up with by combining canned milk, limes and eggs while at sea.
How to Make Key Lime Pie Like a Pro
Before learning our easy key lime pie recipe, you should be aware of the following if you want professional chef-like results.
• Focus on Creating the Perfect Crust – The crust is very important for this pie, so make sure to create the perfect one. Using a food processor to create graham crackers crumbs is your best bet. If you don’t have one or prefer the low-tech route, put cracker pieces in a re-sealable plastic bag and then press out the air. Lay the bag flat on a work surface and then run a rolling pin over it to create even crumbs. If your crust ends up looking uneven, simply press the crumbs onto the bottom using a ½ cup size measuring cup. Don’t use your fingers or else you’ll end up with a bigger mess.
• Use a Glass Pie Plate – Using a Pyrex pie plate is important for the success of the key lime pie recipe. Basically, glass plates are deeper than metal pie plates. Therefore, you’ll have ample space for the crust and filling. Besides, glass conducts heat more evenly in comparison to metal.
• Don’t Compromise on Fresh Key Limes – Fresh key limes are a must, but you can substitute them with 1/3 cup of lemon juice combined with 1/3 cup of Persian lime juice. If none of these is available in your pantry or nearby stores, settle for bottled key lime juice.
• Learn the Right Way to Juice Key Limes – Juicing key limes can be tricky and downright annoying as they’re packed with seeds. However, you can simplify the process by microwaving the limes for 30 seconds first. Once they’re soft, use a citrus reamer or a form to get as much juice as possible. Whatever you do, don’t squeeze these small limes or else you’ll be too miserable to continue.
• Give the Pie Ample Time to Chill – One of the hardest steps of making this easy key lime pie recipe is waiting for at least eight hours while it chills in the fridge. If you’re impatient, you’ll end up compromising on the pie’s refreshing taste and sliceable texture. Therefore, consider preparing this dessert the night before so that you can sleep through the hours of waiting and wake up to a wonderful taste.
Now you’re ready to learn how to make key lime pie! Happy Baking!
- Digestive biscuits- 400 gm
- White Sugar- 50 gm
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Unsalted Butter- 120 gm
- Fresh Lime juice-160 ml
- Sweetened condensed milk-1 can ( 395 gm)
- Egg yolks- 3 large
- Grated Lime Zest- 2 tbsp
- Pie Decoration
- Heavy whipping cream- 1 cup
- Granulated white sugar- To Taste ( I add 4 tbsp)
- Place digestive biscuits, salt and sugar in a large bowl, combine well. Melt butter in the microwave and add to the bowl with biscuits. Mix till crumbs are coated. Transfer the crust into 9-inch cake or pie dish. Bake for 5 minutes. Set it aside while you are preparing filling.
- Zest limes, you should get 2 tbsp. Place egg yolks and lime zest in a bowl of your electrical mixer, beat 5-6 minutes until smooth and pale.
- Add 1 can of Sweetened condensed milk. Again beat 4-5 minutes until thickened.
- Squeeze limes. You will get 160-170 ml. Whisk in yolk mixture.
- Pour into crust, bake another 10 minutes. It should not be browned in the end. Let Key lime Pie cool completely before adding the topping.
- In your electrical mixture beat whipping cream and sugar till soft peaks. Pipe pie the way you want.